The holidays are your time to shine, whether you’re adding brave new colors or a party-ready smoky eye. It’s time to brush up on glamming up for a more festive festivus!
Japonesque National Brand Educator Lee Stewart offers up trends and tips to get your holiday glow on:
Every beauty obsessed makeup maven with an Instagram account has seen the hash tag “strobing,” the technique of sculpting the cheek bones and other high planes of the face using light rather than contour to create definition and contrast. Japonesque offers the perfect range of Pro Products to achieve this chic, modern makeup trend. The technique recalls the high wattage healthful glow of the glam goddesses of the late ’70’s. I’m so inspired by images of Jerry Hall and Michelle Pfeiffer from that era.
- Start with foundation; Japonesque Luminous Foundation is a natural choice for skin-true coverage, not too matte, not too dewy and perfect balanced coverage.
- Apply a neutral blush to the hollows and lightly to apples of the cheeks.
- Lastly dust Pixelated Finishing Powder over the high planes of the face. This revolutionary formula blends without caking or settling into fine lines, blurs imperfections, and gently veils skin in a warm, golden luster. One universally flattering shade provides buildable incandescence, a look that’s both effortless and modern.
Smoldering eyes for the win:
For me the late 70’s was a great time for fashion- I love the makeup aesthetic from that era. The rule of thumb was if some is good, then more is better. Don’t be afraid to pair your strobed skin with a bold, smoldering eye from the Pixelated Color Eye Shadow Palette.
- Swipe your flesh tone pro-basic shade over your entire lid to neutralize any discoloration: from lash line to brows. Use a deep matte to accentuate your crease buffing the color gently from the center of the eye outwards.
- Wet a flat tight eye shadow brush and take it right to your favorite pixelated light refracting shadow and place the color on the lid blending up from lash line to crease. With the same deep color and a dry fluffy crease brush blend the wet shadow into the matte crease.
- Amp up the drama by layering two shades of our Pixelated Defining Eye Pencil in Blue or Plum in the water line and Black over the rim of the entire eye. Blend the liner lightly with a smudge brush.
- Frame your gorgeous shadow application with TONS of Mascara. Load your lashes with inky black Lash Loading Mascara (one coat is for quitters- no one likes a quitter). (All Japonesque make up available at Ulta or ulta.com)
Lots available for the holiday season as a gift for someone (or yourself):
MAC ushers in the holidays with some new gorgeous gift ideas. The Enchanted Eye Bags feature a Longwear Paint Pot, False Lashes, Fluidline, and fluff/eye liner brush in Plum, Neutral, or Smoky. The Lip Bags feature a Lipstick, Lipglass, and Lip Pencil in Pink, Nude, and Red. The Enchanted Eve Face Compacts are available in Cool and Warm. For on-the-go, the Enchanted Eve Eye Compacts feature six smooth, smoky shadows in Warm Eye Shadow X 6, Navy Eye Shadow x 6, and Mauve Eye Shadow x 6. Enchanted Eve Lip Compacts feature three shades and come in Coral Lipstick and Pink Lipstick. And MAC VIVA GLAMOROUS is the gift that gives back featuring a hot pink Lipstick and matching Lipglass with sparkling pearl shimmer. This holiday collection, the VIVA GLAM Lip Palette, also features three of their most iconic VIVA GLAM shades in one sleek compact. All proceeds go toward helping men, women, and children living with and affected by HIV/AIDS. (Available at MAC stores, department stores, and maccosmetics.com)
The ultimate beauty arsenal of FAB’s top-selling skincare solutions, come together in the First Aid Beauty Peace, Joy & FAB Holiday Kit. The set contains Ultra Repair Cream, a head-to-toe moisturizer, Face Cleanser, a sulfate-free cleanser, Facial Radiance Pads, to gently exfoliate, Ultra Repair Hydra-Firm Sleeping Cream, a luxurious night cream, and Vitamin Hydrating Mist to hydrate, renew, and revive skin for a happy complexion. (Available at sephora.com)
ChapStick has some seasonally-inspired stocking stuffers. This year’s limited-edition offerings include a variety of fan favorite flavors: Pumpkin Pie, Candy Cane, and Cake Batter–available at drugstores. Two tubes of ChapStick Candy Cane are housed in a festive collectable tin—available at Target and CVS.
Moroccanoil gets in the spirit with the Moroccanoil Holiday Collections. The gift box comes with a complete set of specialty styling products, all packaged in a luxe ready-to-gift box. The Smooth Collection features Smoothing Shampoo & Conditioner, Smoothing Lotion; the Style Collection features Moroccanoil Treatment, Luminous Hairspray Extra Strong, Hydrating Styling Cream; Refresh Collection has Moroccanoil Treatment, Dry Shampoo Dark Tones, Intense Hydrating Mask; and Revive Collection has Moroccanoil Treatment Light, Dry Shampoo Light Tones, Weightless Hydrating Mask. (Available at moroccanoil.com)
In the Blink of a Smoky Eye, the limited edition smoky eye kit from jane iredale, makes it easy to create quick looks for any event of the season. The eight highly pigmented shades range from a creamy nude, to shimmery rose gold, to matte black. It includes five step-by-step looks in a how-to guide. It’s packaged in an artful travel box with mirror and dual-ended application brush. Just Kissed Lip and Cheek Stain adds a new shade, Forever Red, to the collection. The long-lasting stain uses Olive Butter, Avocado Butter, and Wild Rose Wax to sooth and soften. (Available at janeiredale.com)