Portland, Maine dermatologist, J. Michael Taylor, M.D., M.P.H., recently launched his first skin care product, Ocean Elements Sheer Daily Moisture SPF 30.
I asked him about the importance of sunscreen, how to apply, more about Ocean Elements Sheer Daily Moisture SPF 30, and his philanthropic work.
The importance of sunscreen:
Sunscreen is an important part of sun protection. With daily use of sunscreen, you can protect your skin from the sun’s harsh rays, and if used correctly, minimize the chances of sunburn, premature aging of the skin, wrinkling and most importantly, skin cancer.
Application tips and tricks:
• Most people don’t know that it is best to apply sunscreen to damp skin
• It is important to reapply sunscreen every 2 hours
• Ears and eyelids are high risk melanoma areas. They are typically forgotten about because they are not always in direct sunlight. It is extremely important to cover these areas with sunscreen and to reapply throughout the day
• If you’re trying to decide what SPF you need, it is important to remember that FDA requires sunscreen products meet an SPF of 30 or more to be approved
• Beyond SPF ratings, a sunscreen labeled as “Broad Spectrum” will insure protection from UVA rays, as well as UVB rays
• If you have sensitive skin, there are products out there that will still work for you. A little ingredient investigating will keep your skin irritant free. I suggest a sunscreen like Ocean Elements Sheer Daily Moisture SPF 30, that contains zinc and titanium because neither causes allergic reactions
About Ocean Elements™ Sheer Daily Moisture SPF 30:
I participated in a free melanoma screening at the annual Maine Fishermen’s Forum after I had already begun researching marine life that has beneficial properties for the skin. During the screenings, I noticed that the hands of seaweed harvesters were smooth and moist while those of lobstermen and fishermen were rough and dry. These observations inspired me to investigate other marine sources and properties in which I found a treasure trove of beneficial ingredients including SPF boosters, antioxidants, minerals, vitamins, and anti-inflammatories and moisturizers.
This research, along with years of clinical experience in skin care, led to the development of Ocean Elements™ Sheer Daily Moisture SPF 30, which provides extensive benefits:
• Five marine ingredients that increase sun protection, provide long-lasting hydration and restore sun damaged and aging skin
• Gentle non-nano zinc oxide and titanium dioxide that protect against photo aging
• Effective moisture from cocoa seed butter and sweet almond oil, as well as marine and other natural ingredients
• Rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatories that even skin tone, alleviate redness, calm and rejuvenate skin
• Sheer formulation that combines superior hydration and serious sun protection that is water resistant for up to 80 minutes
• Free from fragrance, PABA, parabens, BPA, phthalates and other harmful chemicals.
As a dermatologist, I have seen individuals of all ages who recognized the importance of daily sun protection, but struggled to find sunscreens that weren’t greasy, thick, or filled with questionable chemicals. Even with scores of products available, I found it impossible to point my patients to an effective, cosmetically acceptable, natural and hydrating sunscreen. So we developed Ocean Elements™ Sheer Daily Moisture SPF 30 to address this need.
Ocean Elements proceeds:
Up to 50 percent of the profits from the sale of Ocean Elements Sheer Daily Moisture SPF 30 will benefit non-profit organizations involved in health care or the environment, including Konbit Sante–-a health care initiative in northern Haiti founded by Dr. Taylor and his wife Wendy Taylor.
About Konbit Sante:
Founded by Dermatologist Dr. Michael Taylor and his wife Wendy Taylor, Konbit Sante Cap-Haitien Health Partnership helps to support the development of a sustainable health care system to meet the needs of the Cap-Haitien community with maximum local direction and support.
More in the new and current sunscreen and sunless tanning department:
Get an easy sunless tan with Comodynes Sunless Tanning Towelettes. Throw the individually wrapped towelettes in your beach bag or luggage for tanning on the go. The paraben-free formula allows you to show off your tan in as little as three hours. The Radiant Glow Body: Instant Body Bronzing Gel is also paraben-free, is fast-absorbing, and washes off with water. (Available at www.comodynes.net)
La Roche-Posay Anthelios 60 Ultra Light Lotion Spray with Cell-Ox Shield is body sunscreen spray that uses micro-shield technology and ensures a smooth application that remains uniform in both intense UV conditions or in water. The Cell-Ox Shield technology is a powerful patent-pending antioxidant complex featuring the Senna Alata plant extract that has a self-defense mechanism to protect against cell damage and environmental aggressors. (Available at www.laroche-posay.com)
The Hydration Sprays from jane iredale, including POMMISST ™, Balance, and D2O ™ refresh and hydrate skin post-sun. They have earned the ECOCERT Natural and Organic Cosmetics certification. ECOCERT is an independent, natural, and organic certification body and was the first to develop a standard for natural and organic cosmetics. ECOCERT strives to promote the use of ingredients derived from renewable resources and organic farming in addition to using production processes that are environmentally safe. (Available at www.shop.janeiredale.com)
Cygalle Healing Spa Sun Crème 30+ is a sheer, absorbable oil-free/PABA free crème that provides light moisture while helping prevent premature aging caused by sun exposure. It contains oxybenzone, which provides maximum protection against UVA radiation as well as UVB protection. (Available http://cygallehealingspa.com/)
Meaningful Beauty® by Cindy Crawford Skin Brightening Décolleté and Neck Treatment Broad Spectrum SPF 15 features a new, advanced formula to diminish the appearance of age spots and SPF 15 to help protect the often neglected chest and neck area. Meaningful Beauty® Antioxidant Day Crème SPF 20 Broad Spectrum has luxe ingredients and broad-spect rum protection to help rejuvenate, firm, and reveal younger looking skin. (Available at http://www.meaningfulbeauty.com/?grcid=mbc)
The new Estee Lauder Perfectionist Youth-Infusing Makeup SPF 25 is medium to full coveragein twenty shades.It brightens, reduces the look of lines, and provides oil-free hydration. (Available at www.esteelauder.com)
Elemis Liquid Layer Sunblock SPF 30 is a lightweight, broad-spectrum sunscreen formulated with naturally occurring titanium dioxide. It’s water-resistant and features cellular-protecting antioxidants to help defend against daily pollutants. (Available at http://www.timetospa.com/)
The new H2O Plus Total Source UV Defense Fluid SPF 50 is a weightless fluid that quickly absorbs into the face to create a transparent veil of chemical-free UV protection and blocks up to 98% of UVA and UVB rays. The powdery, matte finish can be used alone or under makeup. (Avilable at http://www.h2oplus.com/)